Thursday, March 17, 2011

NOLA - Day 1

So I arrived in The Big Easy just after midnight on St. Patrick's Day which was interesting in its own right after a great three days in Las Vegas with Amish, Heath, Leon and Simon. After a quick ride from the airport, checked into my hotel around 130AM and spent the next 12 hours in bed (not always asleep - but that's ok).

I took a two hour walk around the French Quarter since my hotel is a block off of Bourbon St and realized that this would be a great place with friends (even acquaintances) but isn't really as much fun if you're here alone. The place is gorgeous, but its definitely a party place (especially if you're here on St. Patrick's Day) and since I'm not exactly the party solo person - the value is less.

As for the area, since I've never been here before, I can't say how much the place has recovered from before Katrina. What I can say is that there's not much to show physical damage that I can tell. All of the shops I walked into seemed to be ok and there's not much visible damage to the ground or base of buildings. At least there doesn't seem to be much that can't be accounted for by just being a couple of hundred years old.

I'll take another walk around with my new fast lens (50mm/f1.4) and see what there is to see during the parties going on for the holiday.

1 comment:

Lex said...

Aww its good to see you guys blogging again! have fun in New Orleans Ashi!