Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Day of Happiness & Heartache!!!

We had Stake Conference today where Elder Jeffrey Holland was in attendance and the Patriarch was also in town so Amani was abled to receive her Patriarchal Blessing.  These were very happy things for our family.  The speakers at conference were amazing and very inspirational.

On the way to conference I received a text from Ashi telling me to call my sister because my grandfather had passed away.  I called my sister and got the news and information for the funeral.

At conference Elder Holland gave a blessing to the congregation and their families that they may be comforted through their trial and through times of grief and loss.  I felt the impression of this blessing strongly and new that we would make it through.

After conference we headed to Dubai for Amani's blessing which was a wonderful experience for her.  :)

When we got home I began to make arrangements to fly to Indiana.  I called and coordinated with my mom and sister.

Today was definitely a day of happiness, yet a day of heartache as well.

Happy memories of my papa:
  • When I was 8, I flew to Indiana all by myself to spend time with my papa.  While there I went to work with him at the school where he was a Phys. Ed. teacher.  This is where my love of health, fitness and sports began.
  • Trips for ice cream at dairy queen.
  • Walking through the garden as he worked.
  • Playing cards with him and my G-grandma
  • Listening to music and dancing through the house.
  • Watching a parade from the porch and him telling me stories about how my mom use to think the 4th of July parade was just for her birthday.
  • Every time I received a letter in the mail from him knowing he would have answered every pointless questions I asked in my previous letter.  
Here is a link to the beautiful obituary, which will tell you a little more about my Papa.



My photos are all in California, so I can't post any at the moment.

1 comment:

Rachel and Jordan said...

I am really sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing. I also visited my grandparents by myself when I was 8 years old. I have many special memories as well. I hope that you have a safe trip.