Sunday, April 10, 2011

Bern & Interlaken

Today was a beautiful day filled with beautiful sights.  We headed for German speaking Switzerland.  This meant that Sabeena and I were the translators of the day.  We hopped on the train and headed for Interlaken.  The first thing I noticed was that the temperature had dropped incredibly from the previous days, the 2nd thing that I noticed was that when my stuff had been grabbed as I was clearing the breakfast table to hurry us out the door, my jacket was not among the things brought.  Brrrrrr.  Now those of you that know me, know that I am always cold when everybody else is warm.  So, if Amani was cold, then I must have been freezing and Amani was cold!!! 

Therefore the first thing we did was by me a souvenir in the form of a nice fleece jacket.  :D

We then headed out into the city.  We stopped at a little diner called Mr. Grill for lunch which Sabeena and I ordered in German.  Yay!!!  Interlaken was full of beautiful architecture, gardens, mountains, and yummy chocolate & bakeries!!!  We learned that there was also an ice palace, however as we weren't aware of this ahead of time we did not dress appropriately so this would have to wait for another time. 

Way to soon it was time to head back to the train station to head to Bern. This really proved to be another place of gorgeous architecture.  I enjoyed the city/village feel as we walked through Bern.  We visited Einsteins house and saw many fountains.  We then headed across the city to see the Bear Pit, where we found a natural habitat with a family of bears.  We then took a detour through the woods to head back to the village for dinner.  It was a beautiful hike with the mountain and forest on one side and the water on the other.  The girls wanted to take the high rise bridge back across the water, I had to quickly VETO that decision, so we walked a little farther and took the smaller and much LOWER bridge across.  We took a long walk up another hill to the House of Parliament where the restaurants were located on the other side.

Well being the family of picky eaters that we are, we could not choose one restaurant.  Luckily we found two restaurants right next to each other so Amani and Ashi sat at a table at the Fondue restaurant, while Sabeena, Katya and I sat at the next table belonging to the Italian restaurant.  Katya jumped back and forth between restaurants.  She spent the early part of dinner with Ashi and Amani when the waitress mistakenly brought her a pasta dish with squid and shrimp. (definitely not what she had ordered)  When her actual vegetarian meal of arrabiata spaghetti arrived she rejoined us at our table.

After dinner we headed back to Chateau Vigliotti.

Bern was another city

No comments: